Sunday, January 17, 2010

Catching Up Is Hard To Do

I have been watching the commercial on TV lately for insurance where the spokesman uses the song "breaking up is hard to do." I think it's a cute commercial and the song has etched itself into my mind so I thought I would use it as a play on words for the title of this blog.

It has been a while since I have written anything on my blog. With Christmas and New Year's past the holidays have been very busy and has left me little time to work on the computer. However, I have been working on my writing and I'm excited to say that the magazine that I freelance for "Georgia Backroads" will be publishing an article of mine in the summer issue. The title of the article is "The Day the Sheriff Shot His Deputy". It has been a while since I've had anything published in the magazine so I am thrilled that this particular article is going to be in print. I will be sure to let you know when it comes out.

Another thing I have been working on is getting my manuscript ready to enter into the American Christian Fiction Writers contest which is called Genesis. There are several different genres you can submit to and I have chosen the mystery/ suspense genre. You submit the first 15 pages of your manuscript along with a synopsis. This sounds easy enough, but believe me it has not been easy. Because my manuscript is a first draft it has much, much work to be done and I have a very large learning scale to accomplish. I would have never dreamed I was ready to enter a contest except when I mentioned this to Katie Cushman, she suggested to go ahead and enter and that would be a wonderful way to get some feedback. So that encouraged me to go ahead and did just that. I have been working very hard towards that goal. I think the deadline is the end of March. I will also keep you up-to-date on this.

Tomorrow I will be going to Marietta where there will be a dinner featuring Eve Marie Everson and her new book "Things Left Unspoken". I will also be able to meet Diana Sharples who is a fellow writer with ACFW. I went out Friday and bought this book by Eva and have hardly been able to put it down. It is a wonderful story about family histories. It is set in the South and focuses on the refurbishing of an old home as well as the town where it is. It brings back a lot of memories for me of growing up in the South. When I finish the book I plan to give a more thorough review and also hope to have some pictures from the dinner tomorrow night. I believe that brings us up to date on what has been going on in my writing world.

As always:
HAPPY READING!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Deborah,
    Hope you had a good time on your trip. Excited that you are entering the ACFW contest! Keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete