Sunday, September 19, 2010

"The Day the Sheriff Shot His Deputy"

Yes, this really happened - and in my home town of Rome, Georgia. On April 27, 1914 Sheriff W.G. (Bill) Dunehoo got in an altercation with his deputy, Deputy Sheriff G.W. (Wash) Smith. It was on the eve of the 1914 Sheriff's election and both gentlemen were running. Dunehoo was running for Sheriff and Smith was on the ticket with J. R. Barron who was Dunehoo's opponent.

The altercation became heated and Dunehoo wound up shooting his deputy, Smith. Smith lived, but it was touch and go for several days.

This is the story that appears in the Fall issue of "Georgia Backroads" by no other than myself!
It was a fun story to research and write. If you have the inclination to find out more about it then you can buy this magazine in most book stores. I know that Barnes and Noble carries it.

This brings me to a subject that has been on my mind a lot lately. Where do I want to go with my writing? I thought I had it all planned out - but I must admit since I've joined ACFW I'm not so sure anymore. I've read cozy mysteries for many years and so it was natural for me to want to write one myself. I had a manuscript finished and was excited to present it for critique. That was before I knew how much more work it needed before it would be publishable. Somehow all that work just seemed to take the fun right out of writing.

Anyway, I put it aside for a while and focused on my article writing( which I've been doing for many years) and I enjoyed coming up with a couple of good articles recently. Now I'm back to working on my WIP, but not sure I'm going to stick with it. I have all these ideas floating around in my head, but don't quit know how to start with them.

I'm not ready to give up, but it sure is a lonely road sometimes.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah! Praying God gives you fresh ideas and a passion for what He is calling you to do. :O)

    ReplyDelete